Sunday 22 May 2011

Manic miner dungeon

Somewhere from the recesses of my mind came a vision of the classic ZX Spectrum game Manic Miner. I loved playing that as a kid, even though I never got that far (I think I never progressed past The Vat... ah the good old days before games allowed you to save your progress!). One thing that especially sticks in my mind now about the game is the brilliant titles of all the levels.

Thinking about it again, it just occurred to me that it'd be amazing to make a dungeon where each room was inspired by the name of one of the levels from Manic Miner! Some of them would be pretty sci-fi, but no one seems to mind a bit of sci-fi with their D&D these days ;). Here they are:
  1. Central Cavern
  2. The Cold Room
  3. The Menagerie
  4. Abandoned Uranium Workings
  5. Eugene's Lair
  6. Processing Plant
  7. The Vat
  8. Miner Willy meets the Kong Beast
  9. Wacky Amoebatrons
  10. The Endorian Forest
  11. Attack of the Mutant Telephones
  12. Return of the Alien Kong Beast
  13. Ore Refinery
  14. Skylab Landing Bay
  15. The Bank
  16. The Sixteenth Cavern
  17. The Warehouse
  18. Amoebatrons' Revenge
  19. Solar Power Generator
  20. The Final Barrier

2 comments:

  1. The theme tune for the campaign would have to be Hall of the Mountain King, of course!

    This is a great idea. I've borrowed ideas from video games before in the past -- the multi-stage boss is one favourite -- but never from this early in the day.

    I may have to have a location in a game and call it "The Banyan Tree". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ashamed to say I didn't remember the Banyan tree (until I watched the video). I was more of a Manic Miner player than Jet Set Willy... :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.