I had a few ideas about how to remedy this: making some very simple summaries or conglomerations of all the choices during character creation, or maybe bringing back race-classes.
Just to see how feasible this might be, I had a quick attempt at making a description of a race-class (the dwarf) which fits on a single side of A4 and includes all of the relevant options, including a background.
Here's what I've come up with:
You can download it as a PDF here.
- This is a mountain dwarf fighter with the soldier background, all rolled into one.
- The only thing that I left out was the background flaws, bonds, etc. I figure players can just make stuff like that up.
- I replaced the "choose two weapons" in the equipment section with suitably Dwarfish weapons, just to reduce the number of choices required.
- I made a single small change: adding Medicine to the list of skills. (I found it odd that the soldier background lists "healer" as a posibility, but the Medicine skill wasn't available.)
- Some of the text was based on Konstantin M's marvellous condensed basic rules.